Curiosity killed the cat, they say, but it has never, ever stopped a journalist.

Oct. 9 is national Curious Events Day, or so say the folks who keep track of these things.

How does one celebrate such an unusual “holiday”? According to the so-called experts, we should spend the day doing this: “Read or watch documentaries about some of the more famous curious incidents and events that have happened in the history of humankind — disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle, sightings of the Yeti and the Loch Ness monster, crop circles, UFO sightings in Roswell.”

Atlas Obscura lists all sorts of unusual and quirky sites across the world, including plenty in Massachusetts

But we have our own “curious” things right here on the SouthCoast. You may recognize them all, but do you know the stories behind them? Take some time today to ponder our very own “curious” sites.

Dighton Rock

The 40-ton sandstone boulder with a weird and mystifying history was unearthed almost 60 years ago by a crew of workers digging near the Taunton River, in Berkley. The rock bears ancient markings and back then was hoisted by crane in a sling and laid gently atop a 10-foot heap of crushed stone mixed with cement that would is now a permanent base for the rock.

Learn more:The weird history of Dighton Rock

Dighton Rock is covered with curious markings.

Although it’s named Dighton Rock, it resides in Berkley at the Dighton Rock Museum. When it was discovered in the 1700s, Dighton and Berkley were one town, Dighton, hence the name.

Some believe the markings are related to Portuguese 16th century explorer Miguel Corte Real, who never returned from his exploration of the New World. Other scholars have credited the markings to the Phoenicians, Native Americans, and even the Vikings.

In 2002, a Chinese scholar claimed they were made by the Chinese, according to a post on the New England Historical Society web site.

Because the rock was covered up by the tide for about 20 hours a day, scholars had very little time to look at the surface before it was moved to dry land as they tried to decipher the markings.